The best things in life are not things.
A child is a story yet to be told.

Friday, July 31, 2009

Yellowstone

Okay, I guess I better do this now or I probably never will. Time to post the big Yellowstone vacation!
Sunday we arrived at Island Park and stayed in a very large cabin. It also happened to be Mom's birthday in which we celebrated with cake and ice cream. Uncle Darrin had put together a fun family video dedicated to Grandma Turners life. I love those kind of videos because it gives me a chance to reflect on what an awesome and blessed family we have.

Monday was a great introduction to the park as we viewed active geysers, springs, and bubbling mud holes. The amazing natural wonders were accompanied by the smell of rotten eggs caused by sulfur from the springs. It was well worth it though. It is such an amazing park. We stopped and picnicked along a river where the kids had fun looking at the fish and throwing grass or rocks into the water.

Tuesday was a free-for-all day in which we decided to visit Sawtelle Mtn. Alyse, Spencer and the Long family joined us. You don't want to visit this peak if you have vertigo! You can see into Yellowstone Park, including Yellowstone Lake, and three states from its peak. Syvanah fell asleep on the way up so I let her sleep. Taylor screamed all the way up and all the way back down so took the opportunity to get him out and take a screaming break.

You can't visit Yellowstone without visiting Old Faithful, which we did on Wednesday. Of coarse, the kids are tired and uncooperative by now so all we got with them in it is what looks like smoke blowing out of Taylor's head.
Friday we explored the waterfalls and river, also known as Yellowstone Grand Canyon. There are some breathtaking views we enjoyed along the north and south sides of the canyon. We also saw the most wildlife this day as the weather was cooler and more animals were out. We were able to see bison, elk, deer, and a bald eagle with her baby. What I really wanted to see was a moose, but we never did.

We hung out with the Long Family a lot so for more details on our Yellowstone adventures check out her blog! There are also more pictures and events that I didn't expound on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment